Friday, September 5, 2008

Petra Haden’s (a cappella) ‘Thriller’

Having a healthy respect for U.S. copyright laws, I don’t often link to “unauthorized” music downloads.

But I must make an exception in the case of Petra Haden’s remake of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.”

What’s so special about it? Well... as I mentioned here in February, Ms. Haden does it a cappella. She reproduces every element of the original arrangement with her voice.

Such elaborate, multitracked vocal recordings are a Petra Haden speciality. She covered an entire Who album in this manner.

To hear Petra’s version of “Thriller” on my Vox blog, click here. To download the MP3, hit this link. As far as I know, this track has never been officially released.

(Hat-tip: Hypeful, via ALOTT5MA.)

8 comments:

bklyn6 said...

February, Ms. Haden does it a cappella, reproducing every element of the original arrangement with her voice.


For a split second I thought instruments were involved.

That was good!

Undercover Black Man said...

^ I'd love to see her reproduce this live on stage with a well-rehearsed chorale of collegiate a cappella singers.

bklyn6 said...

^That would work.

Dancing zombies, Ola Ray, and an MJ impersonator would set it off! :P

Anonymous said...

UBM, off topic: THANKS so much for the Jim Croce video!!!! Boy, did that bring back happy memories of the 70s. I LOVED Jim Croce, a Philly boy, no less. What a way to start the morning.

Lyndon said...

Her cover of Journey's ,"Don't Stop Believin'" is pretty good. I couldn't listen to an entire album of this though.
I've been Bobby McFerrin-ized.

Undercover Black Man said...

Boy, did that bring back happy memories of the 70s.

Glad you liked it, Geneva Girl. '70s Top 40 was something special.

Undercover Black Man said...

Her cover of Journey's ,"Don't Stop Believin'" is pretty good.

Thanks, Lyndon. I didn't know about that one.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I like this version, because it's sober, and Petra Haden has nice voice.
About this, I deeply recommend you to go to listen to my a'cappella version , also of "Thriller", recorded in 64 audio tracks.
Here is le link of my MySpace :

http://www.myspace.com/macrefrancois

Don't hesitate to let me a comment on my profile, or to make me of Pub!!
Take care of you
François Macré