Wednesday, February 10, 2010

New cuts from Fishbone

Ever go through the pockets of some old clothes and find a long- forgotten $10 bill? And it feels as good as if you’d found it on the street?

That happened to me today online.

I hardly remembered joining the Amie Street music site two years ago, let alone that I had nine bucks and change sitting in an account there. Hey... found money!

So I started looking for tunes that might be worth downloading. (Amie Street seems to specialize in artists I never heard of.) Guess what I found? A Fishbone live album I didn’t know about.

“Fishbone Live” (a.k.a. “Live in Bordeaux”) was recorded in France in 2008. The 2009 CD/DVD combo is only available as a high-priced import. The MP3 version, released last week, will cost you $8.49 on Amazon.com.

On Amie Street I paid $2.76 for it. That’s 77 minutes of Fishbone music for less than the price of a Big Mac. (That price isn’t set in stone. The site’s “demand-based pricing” model means the price goes up as a track gets more popular.)

Let me stream a couple of cuts so you can hear how good it sounds.

Click here to hear “Hide Behind My Glasses,” which is one of my favorite Fishbone rarities. I am absolutely delighted to have a live version of this song.

Click here to check out “Party at Ground Zero”... a tune now 25 years old.

7 comments:

Eurasian Sensation said...

Fishbone are the bomb, they have a special place in heart. If it weren't for them and Living Colour turning me on to some funk and soul I'd probably still be listening to grunge and hair metal. Its hard to believe they've been around 25 years.

uglyblackjohn said...

So THAT's what happened to The Bone.

Edshugeo The GodMoor said...

Grabbed it while it's still cheap. Three bucks. Thanks!

*Tanyetta* said...

This is one of the best ways to celebrate my 40th birthday! THANK YOU!!!!!!

**Your payment for $3.12 USD has been completed.
**

Undercover Black Man said...

$3.12... price goin' up...

Nice to hear from you, Tanyetta. Happy birthday!

Undercover Black Man said...

And now it's $3.24. I guess every time somebody downloads a track, it goes up a penny in price. Ain't that peculiar?

Undercover Black Man said...

Folks,

I would be remiss if I didn't recommend a few other high-quality MP3s available at Amie Street... for those of you who share my taste in funky music (as well as my preference for legal downloads).

These tasty cuts will cost you mere pennies! (For the time being, at least.)

Such as: "Music for My Brother," an amazing tribute to Eddie Hazel recorded by O.G. Funk, produced by Bill Laswell, with original Funkadelic "Billy Bass" Nelson and some hellified guitar gymnastics from Spacey T. Singleton.

Click here to hear "Music for My Brother" on my Vox blog. Current Amie Street price: 18 cents!

Speaking of hellified guitar gymnastics I've blogged before about David Fiuczynski's old band Screaming Headless Torsos... in particular its gifted vocalist Dean Bowman. I alert to their live cover of the Beatles tune "Dig a Pony."

Click here to listen. Current Amie Street price: 17 cents!

How about the Brand New Heavies 2006 cover of the old Motown jam "I Don’t Know Why (I Love You)"... remixed by Tom Moulton? N'Dea Davenport is a bad bitch. Click here to listen. Current Amie Street price: 19 cents!

Finally, a great slice of Seattle garage rock that I've streamed before... "It's All in the Reflexes" by Thee Emergency. Dita Vox is a bad bitch too. Click here to listen. Current Amie Street price: 19 cents!

Sofa-cushion money, people!