Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My dentist is hipper than your dentist.

I was down in Inglewood yesterday to get my teefs cleaned. And my dentist, Larry Strawn, hit me off with a couple of burnt CDs from artists I hadn’t heard of.

Previously Dr. Strawn introduced me to the music of Osunlade. Don’t you wish you had a dentist like that? Larry used to do a little deejaying when he was at Morehouse.

Yesterday Larry turned me on to a singer from Atlanta named Jill Rock-Jones. (He knows I like them black rocker chicks.) Click here to hear a 2002 track called “I Don’t Like It When You’re With Her.”

Larry also hipped me to Tarace Boulba, a funky French brass band. Remember last year when we did Funky Whiteboy Appreciation Week, and Davis Rogan wrote about Ceux Qui Marchent Debout? Tarace Boulba is kinda like CQMD. Both bands are into D.C. go-go music, for one thing.

Click here to hear “Gogo I.”

All that and a free toothbrush. This is gonna be a good week.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should check out Asa available on Itunes. Its reggae, soul with an African specifically Nigerian angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jIhNOrVG58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XEKOW51nkc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTamc77Ux5E&feature=related

Comb & Razor said...

Hmmm... I had heard about Jill Rock-Jones, but for some reason I thought they were talking about Jill Jones who worked with Prince.

I'm feeling her sound, though... Kinda reminds me of Joi from her Amoeba Cleansing Syndrome period. She's damn easy on the eyes, too... Can't be mad at that!

Bailey Dennis said...

http://www.youtube.com/v/XQcVllWpwGs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&

thought you would like this.

Davis Rogan said...

Terace Boulba is the 50 plus member farm team for all the funky brass bands in France. And yes, they love them some go-go records.
My dentsit is a music fan also, he has yet to hip me to anything, but he cuts a great deal to members of the Musician's Clinic.

Undercover Black Man said...

thought you would like this.

And you were right, voyage2atlantis. Hilarious! I'll post it later today. Thanks.

Undercover Black Man said...

And yes, they love them some go-go records.

Hey there, Davis. I find it endlessly cool -- and yet natural -- that funky Europeans would fuse go-go, Afro-beat and New Orleans brass band music into a single repertoire.

Anonymous said...

glad you liked it ubm
mlm aka voyage2atlantis

Jeffrey said...

Love Jill. If I'd have known about her when I still lived in Atlanta, I'd have been at every show.

Did I quick google search & don't see where I can buy that song or where she's playing. Any ideas?

Undercover Black Man said...

^ Wish I had more good information for you, Jeffrey. But the CD "Starring Jill Rock-Jones" is very hard to find.

As for seeing her live... she's now based in Las Vegas. A few months ago, she was performing in a revue called "Songs of Praise."

lawegohard said...

"My dentist is cuter than your dentist" and she's in Inglewood too! :L

Undercover Black Man said...

^ Heh-heh...