Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A free Lightspeed Champion download

Remember what I said about “eccentric blackness”? Check out England’s Devonte Hynes, an idiosyncratic indie-rock singer-songwriter who performs as Lightspeed Champion.

Dev traveled to Omaha, Nebraska, last year to record his debut solo album, “Falling Off the Lavender Bridge.” I’m not wild about what I’ve heard so far... but I’ll always encourage a brother who’s doing something different.

On my Vox blog, I’m streaming “Everyone I Know Is Listening to Crunk.” Click here to hear it.

It’s available as a FREE MP3. Follow this link to Download.com, if you’re interested.

Dev Hynes actually was born in Houston. For the next few days he is back in Texas – Austin, that is – hyping his album at South by Southwest.

Matter fact, you can download another Lightspeed Champion track – “Galaxy of the Lost” – from the SXSW website.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like Lightspeed and I'm glad you posted about him.

Being an avid listener of modern "indie" music, it's nice when I actually look like some of the musicians I listen to.

Undercover Black Man said...

Thanks, Oyn. It bugs me that black artists aren't more visible in the indie-rock scene. Cats like Chocolate Genius, Chris Thomas King and Dean Bowman should have huge followings.

Anonymous said...

@undercover black man - i remember reading an article in NME and this bloke came across ambivalent towards black people in london. he said black people attacked him. i was like, hmm, what part of london did they attack you!

i do respect the fact that he is breaking the mould but the animosity sounds suspect...