Friday, February 29, 2008

Calling all DJs

April 2, 2008, would have been Marvin Gaye’s 69th birthday. In honor of that, I wanna try something special.

If you’re a DJ, and if you do remixes and mashups, or if you just fool around with audio software for fun (like me), I invite you to create a remix/mashup of “Sexual Healing,” using the a cappella vocal track from Marvin’s classic cut.

(For 99 cents, you can download a super-high-quality MP3 of this vocal track from Amazon. Follow this link.)

Come April 2, I’ll stream the results on my Vox blog.

I put one together myself, just to test the concept. Click here to listen. I’d much rather hear what a full-time beat mechanic could do with that amazing vocal.

If anybody’s interested, let me know.

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Check out the Hot 8 brass band's take on Sexual Healing.

I'd love to see a mashup with both Marvin and the Hot 8.

Dollar Bill said...

Man I would take a run at this,but my "Momma Bird" is probably one of the most hardcore Marvin fans on the planet and would skin me alive if she caught wind of it.

She will not tolerate anyone other than Harry Weinger changing,sampling,covering or F**kin' with Marvin.

She is Soul Patrol's NYC event co-ordinator,so don't think you can sneak this past her UBM.
She will hunt you down.

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Undercover Black Man said...

^ I was counting on you, DJ! :^)

Dollar Bill said...

I will ask for permission.LOL
Now where did I put my Led Zep-Levee Breaks beats?

Anonymous said...

Have you heard Rhymefest's mashup tribute cd to Michael Jackson? It's called Man in The Mirror. Mark Ronson (the knobturner behind Amy Winehouse) did the beats.

LA Times says it's better than the official Michael Jackson tribute cd. I would concur.

--Jorge Reyes

Dollar Bill said...

Good to go!
Now just need the follow throughedness to get 'er dun.

Undercover Black Man said...

Jorge: Thanks, mayne. Just found it, just downloaded.