Sunday, February 3, 2008

Anna Deavere Smith remembers a segregated Baltimore

Big Think is a new website that contains nothing but video clips of well-known brainy individuals talking about the world. It’s a database of talking heads, and I’m intrigued by it.

This being Black History Month, I want to present some of the black voices from Big Think as a means of pondering our collective past, present and future.

Let’s begin with Anna Deavere Smith, a talented actor and playwright who (like one of my sisters) grew up in a city that went from segregated to integrated during her school years. This clip is just under 6 minutes.

3 comments:

Cobb said...

Cool stuff. I made one too. Here.

DeAngelo Starnes said...

I watched Ms. Smith perform a one-person show, Fires in the Mirror, on PBS several years ago. She played it seemed like twenty characters and captured all of them real well. One of the best performances I've ever seen, and I wish I could see that again.

Oh, Fires in the Mirror is about Crown Heights. She had Al Sharpton down to a tee.

Anonymous said...

She is fascinating. Her ideas about listening are intriguing. She touches on them in this NOW interview.