Saturday, May 26, 2007

A shot of Travis Bickle, with a Betty Boop chaser

The winner of the Palme d’Or will be announced tomorrow at the Cannes Film Festival. Which is a good excuse to revisit a past Palme d’Or winner and one of my all-time favorite movies – “Taxi Driver.”

Click here to hear Robert De Niro (plus Bernard Herrmann’s marvelous score) on “Diary of a Taxi Driver” from the soundtrack LP.

And if that gets a little too dark for you, just click here for Cab Calloway and Betty Boop (voiced by Mae Questel) doing a duet – “You Gotta Hi-De-Ho” – from one of those old Max Fleischer cartoons.

Nothing puts a grin on my face like some Cab Calloway or some Betty Boop. Put ’em both together and, well, I’m good for the whole day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what I love most about Taxi Driver? The ending. Not the blood soaked final assault, but the aftermath, which was the absolute last thing I expected. Yet it made total, terrifying sense.

Undercover Black Man said...

The perfect denouement for a dizzying trip into the lost soul of big-city America.

Hollywood will never make another movie like this again.

offby1 said...

Nice to see someone else who appreciates the "Taxi Driver" score -- it's one of my favorites, yet I'd never heard anyone else praise it until now.

And the Cab Calloway recording made me smile, too.