Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Muzak karma

While shopping last night at the only Whole Foods Market in the city of New Orleans, I had a surprising and quite pleasant experience.

First let me say... I wasn’t at the Whole Foods because I’m ultra bourgie or anything. Heck, I go to the Walmart on Tchoupitoulas as well. But sometimes I wanna get cute with my mustard selection.

Or watch with my own eyes as they put $85 worth of groceries into one paper bag. (Whereas at Walmart, they put $40 worth of groceries into 15 plastic bags.)

Anyhoo... last night I stopped in my tracks, somewhere around the prepared foods aisle, when this song came over the Muzak.

Now you must admit, that is one frickin’ deep cut to be hearing at the grocery store. I was delighted. And it wasn’t no fluke, because earlier in the mix was “Fancy Dancer” by the Commodores... another deep cut.

I’ve been having good Muzak karma lately. Over the weekend at Burbank Airport, the cuts weren’t deep, but they were plenty tasty. “Love Hangover”... “Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)”... “The Groove Line.” Sounded like something I might’ve mixed.

(Photo above by Walter Parenteau.)

7 comments:

Shadow And Act said...

I guess I'm "ultra bourgie" then... I go to Whole Foods at least once a week! Trade Joes on other days.

Although, maybe if New York City would welcome a Walmart, I just might go there instead... might.

Anonymous said...

i loved this post. in fact it is my favorite now. i only go that whole foods when i want soup. the cute with my mustard selection made this post. listening to this song now. i want good muzak karma. i was shocked to here mj in all the stores over here when he passed. i hate the walmart on tchoupitoulas i'm talking everybody goes there. i'm talking everybody. i see people i haven't seen in years or teamsters. man i miss when they were 24 hours.

Undercover Black Man said...

^ A lot of obese people shop at that Walmart. A lot.

bklyn6 said...

"Simple Things." Yes.

I'd forgotten about this song. But they're running early Soul Train on cable and I caught a Minnie Ripperton tribute; she sang this. Nice!

Geneva Girl said...

I love it when I'm in a store and out of the blue a favorite jam comes on. It's so unexpected. Now that I think about it, all of the background music here is in English, which is nice for me.

I miss stores like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Sometimes they have products that you can only find in their stores. Funny, I didn't know I needed those particular foods until those stores came along.

In Switzerland, all of the grocery stores are expensive. When I showed my brother a teeny chicken for $15, he almost fell on the floor. We don't need Whole Foods for expensive.

9thWardChick said...

No need to go to Whole Foods UBM, it's called Zatarain's Creole Mustard and it's pretty good and you can get it anywhere in the NO.

Undercover Black Man said...

^ Thanks for commenting, 9thWard. Just so happens I'm rocking the Zatarain's. I like it.

But at the Whole Foods I picked up some Dulcet Creole Mustard. Right tasty as well.