Sunday, October 25, 2009

A free Flying Neutrinos download

One cool thing about working on the upcoming HBO series “Treme” is that I’m familiarizing myself with the breadth and depth of New Orleans music.

Is you hip to a “retro swing” band called the Flying Neutrinos? Lead singer Ingrid Lucia is kinda trippy. She comes from a family of street musicians. Her vocal style owes a debt to Billie Holiday.

I got a FREE MP3 for you.

Click here to hear the band’s take on “St. James Infirmary,” probably my favorite old-time jazz standard. (James Andrews, self-described “Satchmo of the Ghetto,” is guest vocalist and trumpeter.)

To download the track, follow this link to the Flying Neutrinos website, and look under “Live from New Orleans.”

8 comments:

bklyn6 said...

I'm trying to listen but thanks to DSL (damn slow loading), I'm gonna just go ahead and download it.

Thx!

Anonymous said...

this better be good. i heard irvin mayfield do it live a few years ago and it was pretty good.

DMG said...

Thanks for turning me on to them. Nice.

uglyblackjohn said...

Damn UBM, I didn't know your writing skills were THAT serious (Nice credits).
I thought you were just good at battling SeeNew and DV.

But if you're not already fat watch out for the Southern diet (an easy gain of twenty pounds in two months should be expected) and that bars and clubs that stay open way after 2 am.

C'est le bon temps roulez!

quirkychick said...

Love'em - I remember seeing them back in the mid 90s when the live music scene in LA was so much fun. They played the same small clubs as the Royal Crown Revue, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Pink Martini and Gomez.
F.
U.
N.

Undercover Black Man said...

^ How cool!

V.D. said...

Can't wait to see the new HBO series. I checked out the link and seems pretty interesting.

-Victoria D.

Undercover Black Man said...

... (an easy gain of twenty pounds in two months should be expected)...

Thanks, ubj. I put on 10 pounds between February and April when we were down here shooting the pilot.

I now realize that just because a fried oyster salad is technically a "salad," that doesn't mean it's good for you.