Monday, October 5, 2009

A free Chicano Messengers of Spoken Word download

I do not like spoken word. I really do not like it, heard?

I do not like it on CD. I do not like it on TV.

I do not like it at a show. I do not like it. Feel me, bro?

But perhaps I overstate. I’ve already told y’all that Jayne Cortez is a stone frickin’ genius. And I was proud to blog about Umar Bin Hassan a year ago. I even dapped up South Africa’s Lebo Mashile.

But that “Def Poetry Jam” bullshit... for the most part, I can’t even deal widdit. The language doesn’t aspire to beauty, the politics tend to be simplistic, and the performance style is to literature what end-zone celebrations are to dance.

(So get over yourself, Rhymey McAfrika. And tell your sister I’m not interested in her “rape poem.”)

I’ve got here a new FREE MP3 to buttress my point.

I had never heard of the Chicano Messengers of Spoken Word before. But the name says it all, doesn’t it? Los Last Poets.

Click here to hear “This Is Not a Fake Poem” on my Vox blog. To download it, click the title below.

“This Is Not a Fake Poem” (MP3)
Album available at iTunes Music Store

5 comments:

KST said...

I'm going to come back and check this out when I get off work.

Um, did you really just write:

(Get over yourself, Rhymey McAfrika! And tell your sister I’m not interested in hearing her “rape poem.”)???

Oh my...you made me spit out my coffee. : )

bklyn6 said...

But that “Def Poetry Jam” bullshit... for the most part, I can’t even deal widdit.

I. can't. stand. it. Like tricky cadence is supposed to make crap sound profound.

V.D. said...

Although I write poetry and am a fan of spoken word, I actually get where you're coming from. A lot of us who were fans of spoken word before Def Poetry Jam feel the whole scene has gotten really watered down, really cliche, caricatured even.

For you it's the "rape" poem, for me it's the "nubian princess" piece that compels me to up and leave an open mic night.

If it's any consolation, I think Russell Simmons made about as much money as he could make off of Def Poetry, so he's gotta be onto other ventures, like the... Rushcard. Yikes.

-V.D.

Craig Belcher said...

Well put. Maybe their tricky cadence ploy would work if they all didn't USE THE SAME ONE.

Undercover Black Man said...

^ Shit was kinda fresh 40 years ago.