Thursday, September 10, 2009

An album you should own: ‘Urbanzulu’

Over the past decade, there are three music CDs I’ve given multiple times as gifts. Which means I think they’re pretty special. So I may as well blog about them.

Actually, I blogged about South African vocalist Busi Mhlongo two years ago. I am glad to speak again on her 1998 CD “Urbanzulu” (which is downloadable from iTunes).

This one was a world-music hit, and it spawned a live CD and a remix project. Listening to these tracks, you can understand why Ms. Mhlongo is more than a popular recording artist and international concert attraction. She is a culture hero to the Zulu people.

Busi Mhlongo has been fighting breast cancer for the past couple of years. But the Sowetan newspaper reports that she has a new album coming out soon, produced by Shaluza Max (Max Mtambo)... another one of my favorite South African musicians.

Here are some streaming tracks off “Urbanzulu”:

1. “Yehlisan’Umoya Ma-Afrika”

2. “Ngadlalwa Yindoda”

3. “Zithin’Izizwe”

3 comments:

bklyn6 said...

I know that first song! I thought I had it on my mp3 player, but I can't find it. It's possible that I heard it on "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency." If so, even then, it sounded SO familiar to me. Anyway, I REALLY like it!

As for “Ngadlalwa Yindoda” somewhere in the middle of it, I hear what sounds like the Staples Singers's "I'll Take You There."

Nice tracks! Thanks for posting.

bklyn6 said...

So you got me to spend money again, UBM. (When are you going on hiatus? :p) I bought “Yehlisan’Umoya Ma-Afrika” and the album "Indiza".

Undercover Black Man said...

^ Ah, you went for the remixes, huh? Hope you enjoy, bklyn6.