Monday, July 7, 2008

Elvis Mitchell’s new TV show...

... premieres tonight on Turner Classic Movies at 8 p.m. (Eastern time). It’s called “Elvis Mitchell: Under the Influence.”

The series begins with Elvis’s interview with filmmaker Sydney Pollack, who passed away in May. The show will be followed at 8:30 by Pollack’s classic comedy, “Tootsie.”

In the coming weeks, Elvis’s guests will be Bill Murray, Laurence Fishburne and Quentin Tarantino.

I can’t think of anyone I’d rather watch chatting with movie people about movies than Elvis Mitchell.

A brief promo video is embedded below.

Bay Area blogger Michael Guillen recently did an entertaining interview with Elvis, and you can read it here.

UPDATE (07/07/08): I just watched the Sydney Pollack interview, and it is wonderful. Now I’m wondering why TCM has only produced eight episodes of this show.

12 comments:

wanda loves... said...

Damn David! That's what I get for not checking your blog everyday like I'm supposed to. Hopefully they rerun this soon and I will make sure to catch Elvis interview Quentin Tarantino (love him!). That should be fun.

Undercover Black Man said...

^ You ain't missed it, Wanda. It's coming on tonight.

Francisco said...

I just really admire those classy, gray dreads of Elvis. I can't think of anyone else than can carry those with so much panache.

Anonymous said...

Francisco, I agree with you. I am so not into dreadheads, but Elvis carries them with dignity. Maybe it's the combination with intelligence. He's hot.

Undercover Black Man said...

^ I love his fashion sense in general.

He'd invited me to the studio to watch them tape his Tarantino interview, and Elvis had on a button-collar shirt... but the collar was unbuttoned.

The director or somebody pointed this out to him, like maybe Elvis had forgotten to button down. And Elvis was like, "It's called style."

estiv said...

I remember when he was a film critic for the New York Times. One of my faves. Unfortunately I only have sub-basic cable, so I'm gonna have to find a patient friend with Tivo in order to catch this.

Anonymous said...

Crap, I forgot this was on tonight! Will it be repeated?

wanda loves... said...

He'd invited me to the studio to watch them tape his Tarantino interview

Say What??

David, next time you see somebody's favorite director please let me know!!!

wanda loves... said...

ps. that was pretty good interview! I wish they were an hour.

And...not only did they order 8 episodes, but 4 of them won't even be aired until later in the year!

The Obenson Report said...

I've heard a lot of good things about The Blacklist, his HBO documentary, and looking forward to seeing it. Didn't catch Under The Influence, but I will eventually.

Undercover Black Man said...

I've heard a lot of good things about The Blacklist, his HBO documentary...

I missed it during a one-week run at a downtown L.A. theater. But I look forward to seeing it... even though Elvis's voice and image aren't part of the finished product.

Bob Bourne said...

Love me some TCM.