Thursday, March 13, 2008

Coming attraction: ‘Hotel California’

I stumbled across this movie trailer recently. No telling when the film will be released; it doesn’t have a distributor yet.

But “Hotel California” caught my attention for a few reasons:

1.) My man Yancey Arias is in it.

2.) Model/actor Tyson Beckford is in it... like he’s trying to be the next Taye Diggs. I don’t know squat about Tyson Beckford, except that the black gossip blogs mention him a lot. (Run his name through my black-blogosphere search engine and see.)

3.) Erik Palladino, formerly of “ER,” plays the lead role... and he looks pretty interesting, actually.

4.) The trailer has a snazzy, stylized look, because “Hotel California” was directed by a music-video guy... Geo Santini.

5.) The late Ray Charles’ son, Ray Charles Robinson, Jr., is one of the producers.

6.) It blows my mind that filmmakers are still ripping off “Reservoir Dogs” and “Pulp Fiction.” Judging by this trailer, “Hotel California” contains nothing you haven’t seen before... and everything you have seen before.

6 comments:

Cal said...

I just know that Tyson Beckford was mentioned in a book by a woman who appeared in many rap videos (I don't remember the name of the book, but I know her nick name was "Superhead") that she caught Beckford and the DJ/VJ Big Tigger (who is on PGC locally here and on BET) in bed together. I know Tigger has threatened to sue her, but he hasn't. I don't care about his sexual orientation, but I think Tigger portrays himself as a ladies' man.

Invisible Woman said...

Alrighty then.

Watched the trailer twice and the only things that registered were "Tyson has a beard?" and the girl from The Fresh Prince still looks like a baby.

I hope it works out well for your friend, tho.

Abbie said...

I was sure that was Pablo Schreiber in the picture. I still swear it looks just like him.

Curious said...

Tyson Beckford was the 1st major black male model for Ralph Lauren in the 90's. Because of him Black started to become fashionable.

He was and maybe still is an iconic glamor figure in the black community - something like Beverly Johnson and Iman in the 70's and 80's.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, it looks like a straight-to-video to me. It's a shame especially because I think Yancey Arias is a real hottie.

Was that beard Tyson's way of ugling up, trying to be more serious?

offby1 said...

I did a triple-take on Palladino's picture. At first I thought it was Aiden Gillen; then I thought it was Pablo Schreiber. See if you can guess what TV show is on my mind.