Monday, November 19, 2007

Playlist: Jamaican singers, American songs

I likes the reggae music. I loves the American R&B. Put ’em both together and it’s like “Hey, you got chocolate in my peanut butter!” “You got peanut butter on my chocolate!”

Mmm... tasty!

Click the song titles below to hear the tracks.

1. “Sexual Healing” – Jimmy Riley

Produced by Sly & Robbie. EMusic.com subscribers can find it here. It’s also available as an iTunes Plus track.

2. “Ain’t No Sunshine” – Horace Andy

I love this man’s quavering high tenor.

Downloadable from eMusic (here) and as an iTunes Plus track (in various mixes; this mix is off the “This World” album).

3. “Baby I Need Your Loving” – Leroy Sibbles

Downloadable from eMusic (here) and as an iTunes Plus track.

4. “Papa Was a Rolling Stone” – The Pioneers

Available on the CD anthology “Funky Kingston: Reggae Dance Floor Grooves 1968-74.” Which is downloadable from iTunes and Amazon.com.

3 comments:

N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

Hi, first time here. Will be back to browse around some more.

Hey, you left out Beres Hammond. He's a veteran. You could check out his music.

Peace.

Undercover Black Man said...

n'Drea, welcome! I'm glad you found me.

I don't know Beres Hammond... but I will check him out. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

In addition to his solo work Leroy Sibbles sang lead for one of the most influential Rock Steady/Reggae groups of the 70's and 80's - "The Heptones".
Plus he was the bass player in Coxsone Dodd's "Studio One" house band. He played bass on many, many of the iconic hits by various artists that came out on that label during that period.