Tuesday, September 4, 2007

A free Angélique Kidjo download

Now here’s some hot African groove music, by way of Europe and the U.S.A. Angélique Kidjo was born in Benin, West Africa, but broke out as a singer in Paris and now lives in New York City.

Kidjo has been turning heads ever since she performed at the Montreux Jazz Festival 20 years ago with the Euro-Afro-jazz band Pili Pili.

Her latest album, “Djin Djin,” came out in May. It features a global mix of guest artists, including Carlos Santana, Ziggy Marley, Peter Gabriel, Branford Marsalis, Alicia Keys, Amp Fiddler and percussionists from her home country.

The song “Papa” is available as a FREE MP3 download, courtesy of AOL’s Spinner.com. Just go here and hit the “Download” link.

If you want to hear “Papa” streaming on my Vox site, click here.

The “Djin Djin” album is downloadable from iTunes, eMusic and Calabash Music.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big World Music guy (Latin mostly), but I saw Angelique Kidjo at the Playboy Jazz Festival in June. She's a terrifically energetic performer and really commanded the audience. I remember thinking I should check her CDs out, but never got around to it. Thanks for the reminder.

Undercover Black Man said...

A must-have track, if I may suggest, Doug, is her cover of Jimi's "Voodoo Child" from a few years ago.

I'm not crazy about her new version of "Gimme Shelter" with Joss Stone, however.

Anonymous said...

I just got her new CD and I love the song Djin-djin.
I'm looking for the lyrics of it. Do you know where I can find it?
Thanks!